Image

Image

Sunday 30 August 2015

A Summer Surprise




In my years working as a guide one thing I learnt was that no matter what the animal behaviour books said, there would always be an animal out there that would do the exact opposite from what the experts said they should do. And such was the case with this Gila Monster. They spend very little time above ground and, in theory, there is a very specific temperature and humidity window that they tolerate. We expect to see them (if at all) in April, May and September primarily so imagine my surprise when I looked out of the window to see this guy trundling across the yard in the full heat of summer in the middle of the day when the thermometer was reading 104 degrees!
I have checked my previous photos and I think this is the same individual I saw in April 2014. Their patterns are unique. I did a post about it, it was the first one of the double delight. Sorry to say, he still doesn't seem to have put on much weight though.

2 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, wow what a great surprise. I have never seen the Gila Monster, you are lucky to have them in your yard. Happy Sunday!

Celeste said...

I do feel incredibly lucky to share space with these unique creatures Eileen :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...