Image

Image

Sunday 26 July 2015

Mystery Solved



Last year I did a post about not having noticed cicadas in my yard and many of my Tucson friends were very surprised as they were deafened by them on a daily basis during the summer. Well I think I have finally worked out why I hadn't registered them here. Previously when I have lived in places where cicadas occur I am used to them being an omnipresent ear-splitting presence, providing enough decibels to make your brain bleed. OK so I may be exaggerating slightly but suffice it to say they were VERY loud. So the cicadas in my yard strike up individually, a novel concept in itself, and they call for no longer than fifteen seconds and then stop - yes I timed it! What gives? Do I have the worlds politest cicadas or what?

4 comments:

eileeninmd said...

How wonderful of your cicadas to be so quiet and polite. I do not hear them near my house! Happy Sunday!

Kathie Brown said...

Celeste, I have not doubt you timed them! What fun! I usually saw them in my yard in Tucson as well, but did not hear their loud whining except when I went into town and they were gathered in great swarms at the mall! Still, they must be a different species than the ear splitting ones I heard in NJ when I went birding with a friend there a couple years ago. Perhaps Doug can shed some light on this subject?

Celeste said...

Yes I feel very lucky Eileen, knowing how noisy they can be!

Celeste said...

I am very happy to have 'polite cicadas' Kathie :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...